10.30.2009

Happy Halloween, er...All Saints Day...er, Reformation Day?



As a Pastor-Dad, I am often asked if I "celebrate" Halloween with my boys. A great question, too...so, here's my answer: "yes-ish." And no, I won't divulge the whole answer, but I will leave you with this hint: It's about Susan and I, as Christian parents, working to do the redemptive work of Christ while on this earth at this specific time. In the same way that everything in this fallen world (eating, drinking, entertainment choices, reading, internet usage, etc.) is in dire need of redemption, so are holidays...and yes, this includes Christmas and Easter, too...

Here's the rub: To swing the pendulum too far in one way (ex. locking your kids inside on Halloween and forcing them to sing Chris Tomlin songs) could lead to a kind of legalism, while swinging it too far in the other direction (ex. hanging a dead 'body' in your tree and scaring the snot out of little neighborhood kids)  could lead to license. So, how then are we to live?

For me, I Corinthians 10:15-33 has been a light that shines Truth into this question...Truth that tells me this: it's not actually about Halloween, is it? When you get a chance, take a few moments to read this passage carefully-great stuff and applicable here.

If you have kids, this week is a great time to teach them some very important truths. Truths about the redemption of a dark pagan holiday into a Christian one by our forefathers in the faith (i.e. All Saints Day), or about a *little* thing called The Reformation (10/31 = Reformation Day. Would America even be here today without it?) and for those of you who are picking out a last minute costume today with your kids, may I make a suggestion? How about Martin Luther?! It's a great conversation starter, I promise.  Ok...maybe that is a bit much. Have a safe weekend...



...and a Happy Reformation Day!